If my success is dependent upon what I can ‘get’ other people to do, I may struggle with feeling successful. It’s all about a get/give mindset.
What does it mean to participate?
- We can go to a party but it doesn’t mean we participated in it.
- We can go to work but it doesn’t mean we participate in the growth of it.
- We can have a plan for our future, but what does it take to participate in it?
To participate in a party, we have to engage with the people there, engage in conversations and choose to engage in the activities offered. Otherwise, we just show up to the party and we leave having given time to it but receiving nothing back; no joy, no new friends….no fun.
To participate in the growth of a company we work for we have to engage with the team, understand what is needed and determine what we can contribute to the growth plan. Otherwise, we just show up and sit at a desk punching a clock and leave everyday having given time to it but receiving nothing back; no sense of satisfaction or significance.
I read a quote recently that made me pause and ask myself,
“Am I participating in what I want in my life or am I just showing up everyday?”
Here is how that thought played out over the last few weeks…
Participating on purpose is more than just showing;
it’s engaging – on purpose.
Make Room to Participate More in What Matters the Most
When we realize that we need to raise our level of participation in the things we want most in our world by engaging with our whole heart and mind, it often requires making room for that level of engagement.
This is when we need to take a look at what exists in our world that doesn’t need to be there or we don’t want to be there.
These things can exist in our world in 2 ways:
- By participating with others in a way that brings their drama, chaos or negativity into our world
- By participating in thoughts or activities that emphasizes our own drama, chaos or negativity.
We many not want it, and we certainly don’t need it in our world, but because of our participation, it exists in our world.
This has an emotional, mental and physical consequence that drains our energy or takes up time that could otherwise be given to participating at a higher level in the things we want to exist in our world.
We can love people, work with people and even engage with people in a healthy way that brings things we want into our world. When our form of engagement brings things into our world that does not serve us, we just need to determine how to adjust our participation choices!
Today is a great day to do a little self coaching! Ask yourself these questions and be true to yourself as you answer them.
- What do I want to exist in my world? (now and in the future)
- How do I need to participate, on purpose, so that those things exist in my world or will exist in the future?
- What exists in my world that I don’t want to exist or I doesn’t need to exist and how can I stop participating in those things?
- What is draining my mental energy?
- What is draining me emotionally?
- What is not serving me well?
Need help? Let’s connect. Living on purpose is not a special skill or ability that some have and some do not. We all have everything within us to live on purpose, but sometimes we need help finding it! My passionate purpose is to help others sort and sift through the questions that lead them to the truths that already exist within them. Wanna chat?