Before I understood my lack of focused prioritization, every good intentioned person could persuade me to say yes to their need or want before I realized I had just given away all of my time to other people’s goals and priorities, leaving no time for my family or for personal life goals.
Every good cause or good idea could persuade me to say yes. Only later, often exhausted and suffering from burn out, I realized I said no to what was important to me because I was easily persuaded to say yes to other people’s priorities.
When we are not 100% sure what our priorities are, we can be easily persuaded into giving time to the priorities of others, taking away time to give to our priorities . It happens every day…
- People ask us to use our time to do something important to them
- People ask us to give our time to help them accomplish a priority goal for them
These are often good and valid things we are asked to do. We might even feel guilty saying no to the requests.
But what if someone asked us to give them time already committed to…
- A job
- A Dr. appointment (or other appointments)
- A committed date on the calendar
We never feel guilty saying no to requests of our time that conflict with a firm commitment – and that is the key. We have to treat our family, personal and life priorities like a commitment vs something we hope to do.
Eventually it all catches up with us…
- Our family starts to feel neglected
- We start to feel overwhelmed
- Our desired personal and business results seem harder and harder to achieve
We have to define the results we desire to accomplish in our life and then schedule time for them purposefully.
With intended results defined and purposeful determination to make it happen, we are empowered to say YES or NO with confidence and without guilt or regret.
We are purposeful…not persuadable!
- Identify 3 results you are determined to achieve in the next 2-4 weeks
- Schedule committed time to work towards these results
- Keep these 3 things front of mind and use them to say yes on purpose to the things that will get results and no to the things others want to persuade you to do for their purposes
Need help? Let’s connect. Living on purpose is not a special skill or ability that some have and some do not. We all have everything within us to live on purpose, but sometimes we need help finding it! My passionate purpose is to help others sort and sift through the questions that lead them to the truths that already exist within them. Wanna chat? Image